Clare and Robin had a great morning at a basket making workshop. I tried to help but I think I was getting in the way so I just watched. Arts and crafts aren’t really my thing but it seems to be theirs and they had a lot of fun with it. In fact, they even asked where to get the stuff to do it at home - turns out the beginner stuff they used is from Barrie Ontario (go figure).
![]() |
| I AM in the photo - in one of the little baskets they made :) |
With baskets in hand we headed up the coast. I can’t say if it was east or west coast because the road kinda went up the middle so, both? So why did we have to drive all the way up to the northern most point of the island? Well to meet the tides of course, oh wait, to SEE the meeting of the tides. Ok that’s completely different I guess. Were they having tea when they met? I’m confused, maybe I’ll let Clare do her geeky info thing she does…
We’ve learned that the north side of the island has almost opposite tides from the south side (if you know why tides work it will make sense - the moon is pulling the same direction, so it’s pulling the water the same direction, leaving it high on one side and low on the other). So then, what happens when you are on the point where both sides meet? Yup, you get the meeting of the two tides. North Cape and East Point are the two ends of the island where this can be seen. Apparently you can get different patterns in the waves depending on the timing of both tides. We got to see perfect diamonds as the waves crossed each other.
I may not care about the geeky side, but I did like watching the waves. I kinda had to laugh to myself because yesterday they weren’t much interested in walking around a city but today they were happy to spend an hour wandering the north cape to get a hundred photos of waves, and then another hour or more further down the coast picking up shells on a beach. I can confirm, they are NOT city girls.
Whatever!



No comments:
Post a Comment