Saturday, July 12, 2025

A whole Carnival for Lobsters


 We went to the Summerside Lobster Carnival.  Yup, they have a carnival dedicated to lobster… that lasts THREE days!  I want a carnival dedicated to bears!  I digress.  

 


It was not a big carnival, but neither is Summerside, so I guess that’s ok.  Today was the last day so we headed over just after it opened for the day (at noon lol), figuring we would have lots of time before the lobster dinner they had bought tickets for.  Turns out we did not need that much time.  We skipped the midway entirely, checked out the cardboard box boat race (that was totally worth it!) and entered one duck in the rubber duck charity race (we assume we didn’t win as we never heard from them again).  And… we were done.


We still had about two hours until dinner, so we checked out the shops along the waterfront in Summerside.  It was a really quaint little spot definitely designed for tourists like ourselves.  Yup, trinkets were bought.  Time was spent.  Perfect.

Dinner was… interesting.  I got some pictures at the beginning, before they got their hands all gross, and I sat under the table after that.  It was rather messy, I was told.  There were some giggles, some confusion, and some assistance from an older gentleman at the next table who helped make sure they left nothing behind on the carcasses.  Opinions varied at our table.  Both liked the meat itself to varying degrees.  One was more dedicated to getting every piece of meat out.  Both agreed they could check it off a bucket list and didn’t need to do it again.  I’m not sure what a bucket list is, but I don’t like sitting under the table so I’m glad we won’t be doing that again!

After dinner we went over to the “entertainment tent”.  Guys, this makes it sound like a bigger festival than it was.  There were two tents - food and entertainment, and then a small midway and the pond with a few activities.  Sadly we missed the lobster trap stacking contest (it was yesterday).  Oops, went off topic a bit.  The last band of the day was “Tip ‘er Back” an Island band that seems quite well known.  They kinda reminded me of the small band we saw in Newfoundland all those years ago.  Celtic favourites mixed with some of their own originals about PEI.  

Laughing, singing and eventually the buying of a CD.  What a day.

Whatever!


No comments:

Post a Comment