Wednesday, July 24, 2019

They Did It!

They actually got up at 6:45 am and were in the car by 7:30!  Of course, I never had any doubt.

Why am I always facing backwards?
The goal was to be back up the top of that crazy mountain for a 9 am guided hike about geology.  So, by 8 we were back in Rocky Mountain National Park and heading up the switchbacks until we were past the treeline again.  It didn't seem quite so scary today, which I was very glad of, let me tell you.

We all thought that the parking lot would be mostly empty since the Visitors Center up there (Alpine Visitors Center for those of you with inquiring minds) doesn't open until 10, but we were way wrong.  The parking lot was about half full, and people were off hiking in every which direction.  We met up with our park guides and one other couple from North Carolina and off we went to learn all about rocks; more about rocks than I ever really wanted to know!  However, we also learned about the plants and animals that live up on the tundra, and I have to say this little bear was pretty impressed.  Oh, and I almost forgot... there was snow!

Snowball fight!!!
Our Guides also loved to learn, and since there were only 4 of us on the hike, they asked about us.  It wasn't long before Robin was teaching the group the difference between venomous and poisonous (and that there are no poisonous snakes, only venomous ones).  Any of you who know Robin are now nodding your heads thinking "yup, that sounds like Robin,"

The hike went until about 12:30 (yup, scheduled as a 3.5-4 hr hike, but I can't say much 'hiking' was done as talking.  Once we were back at the Visitors Center, we had lunch at a cafe overlooking the valley (ok Clare says "Cirque" only because she learned that fancy word on the hike, I don't think you all care, so I'm saying valley).

After lunch we wandered the gift shop to kill time until the "Lightning" talk at 2:30.  This was not a hike at all, but a presentation done inside to try and get visitors to understand the dangers of lightning up in the mountains.  The park has 2-4 fatalities a year from lightning strikes.  That's kinda scary, if you ask me.  It was only a 20 minute presentation, but it was very eye-opening for us little people from sea level.


We spent time in the Visitors Center looking at the displays, and then back to the gift shop (seriously people, what is it with the gift shops already!).  It was nearly 5 when we finally decided to head down, and as we did, storm clouds started to roll in, and there was some discussion as to whether it was snow falling as we walked to the car.  It didn't feel cold enough outside, but we had been told snow does fall up there in the summer, so who knows.  AND, about 15 minutes later, part way down the mountain, we pulled over as hail pounded the car.  Clare and Robin both reached out their windows to catch some - weirdos!

Not far from where we pulled over, we had to stop again, this time for an elk crossing the road.  Seriously guys, I swear I saw this elk look both ways, and only when cars in both directions had stopped, did he cross.  Pretty smart elk if you ask me.  Of course, everyone was jumping out of their cars trying to get pictures.  We didn't quite get the phone out quick enough, but caught him just after he crossed. 

A few minutes later we had to stop for a moose.  No, it wasn't crossing the road, but it seems that when a large animal is spotted, every car on the road has to stop to take photos, so you might as well take pictures too.  Then, there were even more elk near the exit to the park, all munching in the field, and Robin stopped us again to get even more pictures.  I think we'd still be there watching her watch the animals, if Clare and I hadn't insisted that we were all done with elk.  Oh, and just for amusement, this whole paragraph is being added because I am waiting for all her photos to load so I can finish this and let Clare get some sleep.

Finally home, my two companions both rested their weary feet in the hot tub.  Oh yeah, did I mention there is a hot tub in their bedroom!  I haven't had the pleasure, but they've both been in it every day I think, just never for very long, something about it being too hot.. uh huh.

Whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment