Saturday, June 29, 2013

This is the Road That Never Ends...

If you are familiar with "The Song That Never Ends", then you can probably create the same variation that the family made up while driving through Nevada, and in the last few days I've hummed it a few times myself while Clare has driven what seems like the never-ending I-80, which is the same I-80 we used through Nevada.  Yup, very long road!

So what state am I in now???
So, you might be wondering what was so exciting on the drive home from ClairAnn's that prompted me to save it for another entry.  Well, there were actually a number of things, starting with a stop in Wendover Nevada/Utah.  Clare wanted to find some gift that had to do with the Bonneville Salt Flats, and since that's the nearest town, we figured that was the best place to search for one.  In doing so, I think we crossed the state line at least four times, and when I finally clued in that the line was even painted on the road, I just HAD to get a picture (it was hard to get a good angle so you could read the words, but they do say Nevada and Utah).

After two casino gift shops, and then a stop at the Welcome Centre, we learned that the best place for such tourist trinkets is actually a truck stop out on the Salt Flats themselves.  But all wasn't lost, we had a good lunch and discovered a new playground the kids have all agreed should be called "Puking Park" for its incredible variety of spinning-type equipment.  Always a good discovery after having lunch.  Thankfully nobody actually puked!

Back in the car, but only about 4 miles down the road, we pulled over again for Clare to run into said truck stop, which just happened to be on the way to the speedway itself (you know, that "fastest speedway in the world" we read about on the first trek across this salty land).  So, we headed about four more miles off course, on a small paved road that took us straight out onto the flats and the "official racetrack" just to say we've been there.  Quite honestly, it doesn't look any different than what we looked at from the side of the highway a week before.

Sadly, its early in the season and we were warned not to drive off the paved road onto the salt flats.  Of course, there were others driving out on them, but after KayLeigh lost first one shoe in the soft salt, and then the other, we all agreed not to venture very far.  Instead we had fun with the panorama feature on a cell phone...


Once we'd finished multiplying the kids, we were back on the road, and a few hours later, we were back "home" (or at least my home for one more day).

The following day, which was Wednesday I think, was spent doing all those fun things required to get ready for yet another road trip.  A few store runs, laundry, making food for the journey, and packing were all on the top of the list.  Oh, and the fun of a car wash (something about dripping pine sap onto car windows makes them very hard to see out of).  I'm just glad that it was all done quickly enough that we could have one last "activity", something that's become a bit of a tradition whenever I've visited this family.

We had a tea party! 


Well, that's about it.  We left as soon as we were packed up in the morning, and you've already heard that the drive has been pretty uneventful.  The biggest challenge has been booked campgrounds (go figure its Saturday), which has landed us in a hotel tonight - YAY!  

There is only one goal tomorrow - home sweet home!  Oh, and one more stop for a Build-a-Bear stamp.  I have no idea if I'll convince Clare to write one last entry or not, especially if the drive is as uneventful as the last 3 days have been, so I think I'll just say good-bye to all my fans now.

Until my next adventure...
Whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment