Thursday, June 27, 2013

Camping at Last!

I use that title for two reasons...  First, I'm finally up to the part of the story where I actually slept in a tent, but also because Clare opted for the tent option at our first KOA on the drive home since this particular campground's Kamp Kabin's were rather on the expensive side.  So, here I am sitting at a picnic table beside her tent, and finally telling you about my first camping trip.  Yay!

I believe I left off my story when we arrived at KayRena's parents' house late last Thursday night.  Yes, a week ago!  That's how far behind we are.  Maybe, just maybe, by the time Clare finishes driving across country, I'll have been able to tell you the entire story.

Friday morning, while everyone once again worked on loading vehicles with camping and boating equipment (3D Tetris times four as both grandparents were bringing separate vehicles), Clare, Jake and I took a quick trip up the road to get my Nevada stamp from Build-a-Bear (can't forget that part now, can we?).  Later that afternoon, after about an hour and a half more driving, and finally crossing into California, we arrived at the intended campground - I was beginning to wonder if it even existed!

Well, let me just start by saying they weren't exaggerating when they said "family camp."  I lost track of how many people I was introduced to after a while, and apparently I wasn't even introduced to everyone since I've learned of at least one person asking "Who's Whatever?" in a Facebook chat after-the-fact.  How rude!

Anyways, I was intrigued as I watched more and more people show up and tents get put up all over the place while kids of all ages ran every which way.  It was not until it started to get dark that some kind of order came to it all, as I watched with fascination as the kids eagerly gathered around the fire, put small white squishy things on the ends of sticks and proceeded to light them on fire.  Some pulled them off and ate them.  Some let them burn until they fell into the flames.  Some went over to the table and added the melted pile of white goo to crackers, added chocolate, and then ate that.  I don't totally get what was going on, but I couldn't let the opportunity to go by to at least try it for myself.  Very fun way to end the evening.

The next morning came quite early (it had been the longest day of the year after all), and kids were eagerly running around in matching "Ruckman Family Reunion 2013" t-shirts.  I soon learned that these shirts, in one of three colours, split the kids into age groups for the activities that were planned throughout the weekend.  How fun.


Once breakfast was cleared up the kids got into their three groups to learn all about knots.  My first thought, in hearing this, was of the game I had played at Girls' Camp and was eager to be included, but soon learned that it was not the same at all.  While the oldest group of kids learned all kinds of intricate knots with varying sizes of rope, the three littlest ones were all learning the basic overhand knot with shoestring licorice, and when they succeeded, they got to eat their knot.  I was definitely joining THAT group :D.


Of course, I didn't ignore the other groups.  I watched with interest as the middle group learned to join ropes of different sizes and then attempt to pull them apart to test the strength.

Then I just had to go back and join the oldest group again to see if I could tie something with the rope that seemed "just my colour".  I'd say I did a pretty good job considering I'm working with giant sucker things on my paws.  Okay, okay, so Jake had a helping hand in the matter.  Still, I tried and that's what matters, right?

The afternoon was spent at the beach, but oh my what a production just to get to that point!  Between getting boats and toys inflated, putting sunscreen on every kid, gathering all the beach toys, towels, drinks, and I'm not even sure what else, I think it took well over an hour just to get ready to go.  Sometimes I'm glad I'm a just a little bear.

Sadly there are no photos of the beach time, which seemed to be one of the highlights of the weekend.  I suppose its either because nobody took their phone/camera with them, or its just that they all were too busy having fun to think about me and my little blog.  I simply sat there and watched them all swim, splash, paddle, squirt, and/or dig in the sand.  In fact by the end of the afternoon they had built quite the river with a town, bridges, canyons, dams, and various waterways.  Too bad nobody took a picture of it so I could show you!

The afternoon was going quite well, albeit incredibly hot (something about California sun) until this giant dog they all called Bubbles, chose to stop right beside me and shake herself dry.  Everyone seemed to find this incredibly amusing, while I just sat wondering if I could find a way to shake myself dry the same way.  I could complain, but in all honesty, it was rather refreshing :).


Eventually the afternoon sun cooled, and the wind picked up and we all returned to the campsite to make dinner, followed by another group activity where each of the groups learned how to light a fire without a match.  The youngest two groups started with learning fire safety while making pretend campfires with candy, and then moved on to using flint and steel with little cotton balls.  I was impressed when even the youngest (5 yrs) were given the chance to try it, AND all made it work.  I was told "Welcome to Ruckman camping", and not for the first, or last, time that weekend.  Apparently this was "normal" for this family.


While the younger kids were having fun with flint and steel, the teens had a challenge all their own.  They were using a bow string with a dowel to cause friction on a piece of wood, in the hopes that they could make a coal.  If they got that far, they would place the coal in a "nest" and attempt to get it to light.  Ok, that's a very simplified version of it, and you can imagine that it is not the easiest feat in the world, although they all got very good at reciting their ABCs (which I'm told is vitally important to the creation of fire).  I'm proud to say that one of my good friends, Tristin, was the first to accomplish the task.  


Pretty impressive, I must say!!

By the time everyone had a chance to light a fire (some needing more help than others, but I believe all did it), it was quite dark and pictures weren't turning out :(.  It was fun to see their excitement as each accomplished it though. 

With that said, its getting dark here in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and the battery of this laptop is running low, so I'm afraid that's it for my travel stories for the night. 

Until tomorrow...

Whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment