Friday, June 28, 2013

Just My Point of View

I guess I have to report that I am a traveling bear, not a camping bear.  While the camping thing has been fun and all, and I know Clare likes it, I think I prefer Rissa's method of air conditioned (or heated) hotel rooms that require no more work than driving to its front door.  No offense to all of you who love camping, but I'm afraid this little bear wants to spend more time seeing things and less time setting up and taking down tents.  :D

That being said, we are now just outside of Omaha, Nebraska and Clare has the tent all set up, has sorted out coolers (you know, the whole draining the water and putting in new ice procedure), and we can finally sit down and work on what matters most - ME!

Now where was I before I was so rudely interrupted by the lack of battery power last night?  Oh yes, the Ruckman family camp...  although, I'm afraid I've told you most of the highlights already, since they pretty much all happened on Saturday.
 
Sunday morning was cold and dreary, although thankfully not rainy, and I hate to admit it, but this little bear hibernated the entire day.  Yeah, I know, pretty lame.  I know that at one point the kids were sent on various forms of orienteering work for their group activity stuff, but only because I heard a group of girls yelling stuff about clues to find some pirate booty or something.  Sounds like it could have been interesting, and I can't even blame them for not including me.
 
The other thing I missed out on by my reluctance to come out of hiding, was a trip to Crystal Peak to collect quartz and other cool rocks.  Maybe I would have gone along if Clare had been joining them, but she was staying back with the younger group and nobody even thought to ask if I wanted to go.  Yeah, yeah, I know.  It was my own fault for not being out and visible.  I guess it just shows that I'm not much of a camper.  Sorry guys.

We woke up Monday  morning to light rain, not enough to get soaked, but enough to make sure all the tents were put away wet.  I refer you again to my opening paragraph, and my tendency towards preferring hotels :).

Now, Clare and I were informed by a number of my new friends that we could not come so close to Lake Tahoe and NOT go see it.  "It's only about half an hour added onto your drive home" we were assured, and so we played 3D Tetris once again with kids and gear, and headed south  as directed.
 
What is the big deal about Lake Tahoe, you might ask?  Ok, you might not, but I did, and  I was told it is one of the "bluest, clearest lakes you'll ever see, and surrounded by beautiful mountains."  I wish I could tell you that is what I saw, but sadly the clouds and rain that suddenly struck once the lake came into view, meant we didn't even stop for pictures.  It was grey and bleak, and sadly not entirely impressive.  I have looked at pictures of it since, and even found one of the same view I did get a picture of, so I do believe that it could have been quite breathtaking under different circumstances.  Still, at least I can say I've been there!


Not only that, but it was a most glorious drive back to Reno from Lake Tahoe.  Ok, I'm not sure KayRena thought it was glorious as she attempted the many winding switchbacks that took us down through the mountains, but I certainly thought it was.  At one point we even noticed that it was snowing on the mountains, just above the road we were driving on.  Very cool experience in its own right, if you ask me.  I know you didn't ask, but that's not my problem.

A number of hours later, and a lot more of the same brownish-browny coloured landscape, and we were back at ClairAnn's house where everyone eagerly waited their turn to shower.  I gather that "the shower" is the normal conclusion to what is considered the entire camping experience, and although I don't completely understand the significance, it seemed to be the most anticipated part of the day (well, that and flush toilets).  It wasn't long before everyone was asleep!

Surfing USA!  (AKA what happens when the kids get bored in the car)

I think I'll end it there for the night.  There are a few more stories to tell about the drive home, but if I told them all now, what will Clare write about tomorrow night?  The last two days of driving have brought us about half way home, but have been completely uneventful beyond the setting up and taking down of tents.  There wasn't even a Build-a-Bear in Wyoming to get a stamp at (how very sad)! 


So, once again I will leave you with something to look forward to reading tomorrow.
Whatever!

PS.  Thank you to all the Ruckman family members who made Clare and I feel like we were part of the family.  I may not love camping, but I loved getting to play with you all.

  *waves to any new readers I may have picked up*

No comments:

Post a Comment