Saturday, August 20, 2011

That's a Long Way to Go to Adopt a Family

Ok, lets just cut to the chase here.  The focus of the day was getting to introduce my tourists to the family!  As scary as it is, Clare set up a family dinner.  Sadly, Haydon (Clare's 17 year old nephew) had made previous plans and could not attend, but my dear traveling companion Rissa, her husband Olly, and then Liv & Bryan (Clare's sister and her husband), not that any of you really care about the names unless you are those people in which case you already know your names, so its irrelevant now isn't it?

The afternoon started well in my opinion as Clare, Nate and Di sat on the swing in the backyard and the family sat inside watching the end of a NASCAR race, which they repeatedly said was almost over.  In fact we were even informed that there were only Few minutes left, more than once.  I'm not sure how long a Few minute is, but there seemed to be an awfully lot of them.  I will give credit to Rissa for attempting to sit outside and be sociable but even she took off inside when it got too exciting to ignore. 

Upon completion of the race (no, I don't know who won, nor do I care), dinner was prepared with marvelous made-to-order steaks, barbequed veggies, and what has been renamed "Clare salad" (note: no Clares were harmed in the making of this salad, and for those who are familiar with Rainbow Pepper Salad, they are one and the same).

I could go to great lengths to describe the entire experience but perhaps it would be more fitting to just share some of the quotes that really defined, not only the dinner and conversation, but the nature of the family as a whole...

Getting To Know You:
- "Liv, Di;  Di, Liv"
- "I assume you have names, but I don't remember if I was told what they were"
- "I can stop talking long enough to listen if they have something interesting to say" (So, if she won't stop talking...)
- "Nate and I are bonding over Transporter 3," says Olivia as Di sits down between her and Nate.
   "Yup," adds Nate
   "Wow, I feel kinda awkward sitting between you two now," Di replies.  "Shall I move?"

The Missing Link:
(In other words, don't miss a family party or you WILL be the brunt of all jokes)
- "You realize Liv, all that I know about your son is that I've seen photos of him in a Sailor Moon outfit, golden shorts, and that he loves to watch Toddlers in Tiaras.  It leaves me wondering just how people raise their kids in Canada"
- Discussing Haydon's ability to help around the house and/or get a job, Liv quoted a conversation she had with him that ended with him saying "Mom, I'm not stupid; you know that.  I can do all those things.  I'm just lazy."


Food Glorious Food:
- "Wanna see what they look like before I dump them in a bowl?" Rissa exclaims holding a large foil pack of food from the barbeque under Di and Nate's nose and then pulling it away.  As she runs back to the kitchen, Di looks bewildered and says "What was it?"
- "Do you like your steaks more crispy?"
- "Di, de-do-dah those strawberries"
- "I'm a banana!" announced loudly from the kitchen for no apparent reason whatsoever, quickly followed by giggles.

From my little observation point on the coffee table, it seems to me that these two friends from Utah fit into this family as if they'd always been a part of it.  Is that a compliment or not?  You be the judge!

Tiim Horton's Count: 0 (Total = 8) Today's count only limited by the fact that we didn't go anywhere we had not already been earlier this week.
Whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment