Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Lions and Tigers and Bears...

I have converted another one!  After spending the weekend with us, Haydon was suddenly in desperate need of a Build-a-Bear of his own, and so it was that Monday morning started earlier than any day since this trip began!  Of all the tourist sites to entice these people out of bed, it took a 17 year old boy's desire for all of them to be a part of his creating a bear, to get them up and out of the house by 9am!  In fact, when Di set the alarm on her phone, she titled it "OMG Haydon!!" (even with two exclamation points - I know because she just checked it).  But they did it, they got up and took him back over to the store in Kitchener, where he enjoyed the full-treatment and although he might be too proud to admit it, I think he loved it as much (if not more) than any child would.

With bear in hand, Haydon was dropped off at home and the rest of us returned to Toronto to spend the rest of the day in the zoo.  This was a personal request of Nate, as he'd learned that it is the largest zoo in North America (3rd largest in the world), and I guess he just had to see this for himself.  Of course, when you don't get there until 2pm its really hard to see that its the largest zoo because its impossible to actually see the entire zoo in that amount of time, so he'll just have to take my word for it.

Now, to my devoted followers, you will probably remember that I have been to the Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City twice in this last year, and I want to tell you that there is no way to compare these two zoos.  While some might argue that the Hogle Zoo is small, I think its just my size!  Not only is it very easy to see in a day, but it is very accessible to a little bear like myself, who loves going right up to the windows and enjoying the interactions with the animals on the other side of the glass.  My time at the Toronto Zoo was bordering on overwhelming, and there were only a few places were I truly got to enjoy sticking my nose (and paws) right up to the glass!  And, even though we spent about five hours there, we only managed to see about half of it (if that).

Still, it was a beautiful day as Di can prove by the many pictures she took of the sky, trees, and well, anything else that took her fancy (occasionally taking a picture of an animal or two as well).  And yet, as irony would have it, the most beautiful sunset that we have witnessed on this trip was enjoyed while stuck in traffic driving through Toronto, and no real chance at getting a photograph.  Go figure!

Tim Horton's Count: 1 (Total = 41)
Whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment