Yup, we were back into Old Quebec today, and first stop was the Morrin Center which was both a jail and a college (at different times). It was the first jail of Quebec City and some of the cells have been preserved, so we had a great tour of them, and even got locked in the darkness briefly. Cool, sad, and interesting all at once.
In the early 1800s it was turned into a college for the english speakers of the area. We got to see the ballroom, old chemistry lab and the library. Interestingly the library shelves have been preserved but they are filled with modern books and it serves as the only english library in the city. It also runs independently from the city-run libraries. While we were there, a children’s book club was happening.
While some enjoyed the jail and others enjoyed the anachronism of a 200 year old desk still in use, with a computer sitting on top. I myself enjoyed the singing - part of the tour included the balcony over the ballroom, and our guide told us it had amazing acoustics, and if anyone was a singer, they were welcome to test it out. Nobody offered, so the tour continued. However, when it was done my companions asked if we could go back and sing. The guide was so eager, having offered over and over, every tour, and never had any takers. Our Girl Guide group proudly sang “On My Honour” first, and then sang “Taps” in both english and french. The guide was right, it was amazing what six voices could produce (and she thanked us for letting her experience it too).
After the tour we had some time for *cough* shopping before High Tea in the Chateau. I got a new backpack! For those who have been with me since the beginning you may remember my backpack and passport. This isn’t quite as nice a backpack, but Clare says she might be able to fix it up a bit more. Yay! Some might ask if I now appreciate shopping trips. Nope, I still don’t get it, but I get that you humans do and I’m willing to go along for the ride as long as I get to see the world… key word being WORLD, you know, like this Europe place I keep hearing about. Oh, but I’ll likely never get tired of making fun of this crazy shopping habit you all have.
![]() |
| Bow tie curtesy of Squirrel |
But I digress. After filling in some time with shop wandering, we headed into the chateau where everyone changed into dressier clothes and headed to High Tea. Yup, we went from a dark and dingy jail cell to drinking tea in the chateau.
Tea was as fun as I remembered it to be. Everyone got into the tasting of new teas and treats. Some were liked, some were not, but trading happened and pretty much everything got eaten in the end. Pretty cool way to do it.
Then came the boring bit for me. Hotel time. Something about people needing down time and the cleaning of clothes (especially uniforms). Many had naps. I just waited, because I heard there was another adventure on the horizon.
Late night back. Thankfully my sometimes faithful scribe Clare wrote most of this post while doing laundry earlier. She is now eager to get to bed, so I guess that’s it for now.
Whatever!



No comments:
Post a Comment