Sunday, May 08, 2011

Zoo Day Ends in New Pet

On our last adventure in Utah, a zoo membership was bought, and the family was quite excited to take me there again.  I have to say, it was a very different experience since it is no longer winter and happened to be the first really warm Saturday Utah has seen this spring (although, I'd like to comment that it was not warm at all, it was down-right hot, but maybe that's just my black fur talking).  I have to wonder if the expression "it was a zoo" came from days such as this.  There were people everywhere, and as a result I was not able to get any window-side views like I did last time.  On the most part I stayed safely clipped to Clare's backpack where I could view the excitement from a distance. 

While much of the exhibits were familiar from our last trip, there were a few things that were either new, or simply available now that it wasn't so cold.  I got to ride the carousel with KayRena and then a neat little train that took us to a few areas we weren't able to see before.  But by far, the highlight of my day was the bird show (even if I was about the size of their food, which made me rather nervous at times).  We saw many different birds doing various tricks from talking to throwing garbage into recycle bins.  After the show they encouraged donations by having you pass your dollar bill to a bird that would put it in the donation box.  If you donated $5 you could pose with a trainer and an eagle so Clare kindly gave the kids a dollar each, took pictures of them handing over their money and then one group shot with the eagle, who happened to open his wings right as she took the shot.

After about 4 hours in the blazing sun, it was agreed that everyone's feet were sore, and they were hot, sweaty and very tired, so we hiked it back to the van where the three youngest promptly fell asleep for the ride home.  They did not wake until just after we'd turned off the main highway and Jake yelled out "FREE KITTENS!  MOM GO BACK!" ... and she did!  Soon we had a another little black ball of fur in the car, and I had a feeling I was to become a thing of the past.  This was proven later that night, after watching a movie, Clare found me face down between the cushions of the couch, my little green foot the only thing visible.  It wasn't her fault, the kids had invited me to sit with them, but clearly this new kitten was much more interesting than me.  I only hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Today has been a relatively quiet day (I mean how quiet can a day be when there are six children and three adults in one house).  It started raining shortly after church, and everyone has spent the day watching movies, reading, jumping in puddles, or bugging their escorts to upload photos and update a blog.  I am grateful for the time, or who knows when it would have all got done!

Until tomorrow then...

No comments:

Post a Comment