Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Liquid Sunshine Days

The mountains are back!  For the last 3 days its been rainy, and whenever we went out it looked more like Ontario than Utah, not a mountain to be seen.  I'd almost forgotten just how tall they were until the sun came out this evening, and once again I was struck with a sense of awe at how they can tower so high, just past all the flat land of the cities.

Needless to say, the last few days have been spent indoors, well except for a fun excursion on Monday to go puddle jumping (yes, literal puddle jumping).  Clare, KayRena, Kes and I went out in our raincoats and I watched as they jumped in the deepest puddles they could find until they were very wet, and quite cold.  They tried helping me puddle jump as well, but I'm not to fond of wet fur and none of the pictures turned out really well, so you'll have to just take my word for it.

So, I bet you are wondering what a bear does for three days when its pouring rain.  Ok, maybe you aren't wondering, but I'm going to tell you anyways.  If you aren't wondering, and don't want to know, they stop reading - its simple really.


I have to confess, the last two days were rather boring as I watched adults and children alike clean house, play video games, collect supplies for birthday party number two, paint with fabric markers, and watch movies.  I even had a date during the movie, a pretty little purple bear put her arm around me, although I never did get her name (is that bad?).  This lack of adventure would be the reason for neglecting to write the last two nights.  Well, that and the fact that Clare's laptop was giving her a headache trying to get online, a problem we seem to have conquered (ok, she seems to have, I really haven't done a darn thing to help her).

Today was pleasantly different, even if it was still cold and wet.  We went over to a friend's house to make pillow cases and they even made me one, as well as a sleeping bag!  I don't get the excitement over this, but they seemed to believe that I would not have the full experience without one, which I suppose is much better than having to wear fairy wings, so I'm good with it.

Having completed that project, I was whisked off to the local grade school, where I was introduced to KayLeigh's first grade class.  Let me indulge in a little history here.  A few weeks ago Clare received a letter from KayLeigh with the greatest little drawing she'd done of me.  It included Flat Stanley (a cut-out of a small boy) and asked Clare to take him somewhere and write back about what she'd done with him.  Clare commented that it made sense KayLeigh would want to send this school project to her since, and I quote, "she knows I already do fun stuff with inanimate objects."  How insulting!   Sadly, she did not have time to do something with Flat Stanley before flying out here, so she printed off pictures of Niagara Falls, knowing that's what we would have done, had time allowed.

Ok, back to today.  The teacher had invited us to the class to share what we'd done with Flat Stanley, and after the kids looked at the pictures of Niagara Falls (including photos of the lights on the falls at night), and asked Clare questions she couldn't answer about The Falls (which made me feel better for some reason), I got to stay behind and spend the afternoon in First Grade.  I got to sing with them as they practiced for some activity they are doing on Friday.  I'm not sure I'm the best singer in the world; I try hard but nothing much seems to come out.  They also had journal-time, which I think is a great a idea - why can't I have a scheduled journal-time?  You know, a time when Clare would have to spend writing about my day!  You all might learn a lot more if we implement such a program!

As I have already stated, the sun came out sometime around dinner time, and then some of us enjoyed a walk outside in the sunshine.  It was a great way to ending to an interesting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment