Well there was a canyon in the area I hadn't been in yet so it seemed appropriate I should do so. Those who joined me vicariously last November will know that we attempted to go to Bridal Veil Falls, but the parking lot and trails were closed due to weather and fear of snow causing landslides, so the most I could do was take pictures from a distance. This time I was promised a proper look at the falls, and was beginning to wonder if it was going to happen at all, but they pulled through for me today, and what a trip it was!
As we headed into the canyon an electronic sign flashed "10 min to dam". We had seen this same sign on the way to the Y on Sunday, and I'd found it rather curious at the time. I have puzzled over its various possible meanings ever since, some more literal than others (I'll leave that open for your personal interpretation). Today I finally learned that there is a reservoir and dam just up through the canyon and the sign is to let you know how long it will take you to drive there at that particular time. What I want to know is how accurate can it really be. I mean, what if you're going 100 mph, or break down along the way, or see something pretty and stop to take pictures (like the falls)? There are endless possibilities, leaving me once again wondering of the true meaning of "10 min to dam".
By the time I'd finished my pondering on this subject, we'd reached the parking, and walked along the nice, flat, paved trail to the base of the falls. After the other hikes I've done the past two weeks, this was a welcomed walk, although I was wondering why the need for water bottles and snacks for such an easy stroll. I joined the kids across a small pool of water, climbing the bottom parts of the falls, and marvelling at the height of the entire thing (I am in that first picture, just smaller than some of the rocks, but I AM there, right at the bottom).The next thing I knew, we'd gathered together again and were walking further down the nicely paved trail. I few minutes later we stopped and I watched as they pushed the stroller behind some boulders, pulled out all the water and treats, and announced that we were hiking up to the mist. Now, while this trail was much shorter than the trip to the Y, it was not exactly the easy stroll we'd just had. It was steep, rocky, and at times rather ummm... unstable. The kids were great helping each other though, and eventually we made it to the base of the higher falls and I was eagerly pulled off my little perch on a backpack and taken up into the mist where I got a very cold shower every time the wind blew. Everyone was laughing and shrieking about how cold it was. Well, everyone but Clare, who happily took her sandals off and waded into the water barefoot (and I'm sure that is not a surprise to any one of you reading this).
We made our way slowly back down where the kids played around the pool at at the bottom of the falls. They practiced skipping stones, shoveling mud and sand into buckets, and various other activities until the inevitable happened - someone fell in. Tristen was the first to lose his balance and soak one leg. KayLeigh was not far behind, soaking both. Of course once they were wet, it didn't matter much, so they trecked through the creek that followed along the walkway back to the car. I'm sure they were quite cold, but they were having too much fun to notice.
![]() |
| (I only wish I'd had this in Peru) |



No comments:
Post a Comment