Sunday, May 15, 2011

Can't a Bear Get a Little Sleep?

As predicted, the party took up enough time and energy that I have been unable to get Clare to write for me!  It is so hard to get any good help these days.  Before I begin my story of Friday the 13th 2011, I feel I can not neglect that it was a Friday the 13th only six years ago that I stood on top of the world in Peru.  So here I am, enjoying mountains and adventures of a different kind, and wondering what the next six years might bring.

Friday morning was rather uneventful for me as people cleaned up and finished getting ready for the party.  KayRena took off for some event at KayLeigh's school.  When I was in that class the other day they were practicing for this event, and I had asked to go back to see the final thing on Friday but I guess, in all the excitement of birthdays and such, I got forgotten.  Oh well, at least Clare let me accompany her on the drive up to Ogden to pick up my friend Di.  Not that the drive is anything special given that we did it many times on our last visit, but it was interesting to see things a little less white and a lot more green.

 On returning to the house, the kids were eager to see us again, and were introduced to Di whom they instantly accepted as one of the family, just as they had me six months before.  It wasn't long before they were cuddling with her, climbing on her, and talking non-stop about anything that came to their minds.  In fact it was hard to get them to stop long enough to do anything party-related.  Eventually though, pizza was ordered, and things finally settled into party mode.

Now, it was very interesting to note the incredible difference between this party, and the last.  While the first was planned down to the last detail, and a certain order of events seemed to be important, this party was more of a "lets wing-it and see what happens" kind of thing.  Clare gave KayRena her present almost immediately so that they could watch the movie she'd given while they ate pizza, while KayRena gave Clare a gift sometime in the middle of the night after many of the kids had fallen asleep already.  The trifle that Clare had made in lieu of cake was actually eaten as breakfast on Saturday morning, without candles or that strange song they sang last time. The organization (or lack of) left me wondering about these curious things called birthday parties.

There were many other things that left me wondering just what was going on.  The movie they watched was the DVD version of the one we'd all seen together in the theater during my last visit.  The story hadn't changed; why watch it again?  And then, as if watching a movie they'd already seen wasn't strange enough, right in the middle of it someone hit someone else with a pillow, prompting a quick retaliation.  Soon others were involved, with lots of giggling and pillows flying everywhere.  For a few moments the movie was completely ignored, which I suppose could explain why they chose to watch (or not really watch) something they'd already seen.  Clearly the movie was just an event required of these parties, but it was not required to actually watch it.

After the movie they pulled out the pillow cases, markers and various paints and began their masterpieces.  Jokes were made about my "girlfriend" and they had to go find her.  First of all, I would like to clarify that she is not my girlfriend, just a friend!  Oh, and I still don't know her name.  Would somebody please tell me her name!   They painted pillow cases, talked with each other, and sang silly songs about slowly going crazy, songs that get on everybody's nerves and songs that never end, until one by one the kids crashed into various sleeping areas and/or their bedrooms.  Eventually it was just Clare, Di and KayRena talking well into the morning hours (which I think they may have regretted when the first of the kids had to get up for some school event at 6am). 

As I have already stated, trifle was the breakfast food of choice, and then they cleaned up the mess that was created with flying popcorn, pillows, and other treats.  They then sat and painted toenails, and talked a lot (these humans seem to love to just sit and talk, while I would much prefer getting up and on with some new adventure).  Eventually Clare and Di got their act together and we were on the road back to her place.  I eagerly awaited new adventure, but that was not to happen (at least not yet), as both of them ate dinner and promptly went to bed.  Well, more like they pretended to go to bed, and then sat and talked for hours before finally falling asleep.  All I could do was sit and watch from my new home perched on a pile of boxes in the bedroom.

I guess Rissa has spoiled me with the non-stop adventure style of tourism.  I do look forward to traveling with her again some day.  For now I will be content with these friendly visits that include occasional tourist adventures.  It sure beats sitting on a bookshelf in Guelph, staring at walls for days on end!

No comments:

Post a Comment