While I have spent the last few days sitting on a shelf while the kids are at school, I've been a busy bear in the evenings. On Monday everyone got excited about going to the movies for Family Night, and insisted that I bring Ida Know along. I wasn't sure about this but didn't have a whole lot of choice as she was picked up and brought along without so much as asking my opinion. So it was that I ended up sitting in a dark theater watching some movie about pirates and a magic fountain with a whole lot of running around and sword fighting. I'm sure that's the perfect movie to take a date too (even if you didn't invite the date).
Last night was an equally entertaining night as I was invited to Wesley's class talent night. If you don't remember, Wes is the oldest child in this family and is in the special needs class at his high school. The half hour program may have been small and simple by regular high-school standards but it sure wasn't lacking in enthusiasm. While I enjoyed the fun activities that each student chose to share, I was equally if not more impressed with a group of teenage boys who cheered, hooted, and cat-called for every student as if it were their best friends up there performing. Even the simplest performance, that was all but impossible to understand, was cheered with equal gusto. Of course, I have to mention my special friend Wes at this point, who rapped his school fight song. I hate to admit that I could not understand a word of it, but he acted the part perfectly. Those who already knew the song seemed to follow along fairly well, and cheered loudly when he was finished, so I did the same. Although, when I attempted to clap along my little sucker feet got stuck together, so I'll stick to my own brand of silent cheering from now on.
After the talent show, we were invited to enjoy snacks and socialize. On display there was a series of quotes students made throughout the year. Sometimes the comments were made with the intent to be funny, sometimes they were the innocent responses of these special youth, and the teacher stops to write them down, and then shares her favourites at the end of the year talent show. While a number of them had us all laughing, there were three in particular that I just feel the need to share, two by our very own Wes (we're so proud).
Teacher: What do you wear to stay clean in the kitchen?
Wesley: Tarps
Teacher: Why do we come to school?
Wesley: To attract girls
Teacher: What is a large landmark in Arizona?
Student: Jason's grandma (names changed because I thought I should even though nobody reading this could possibly know who I meant even if i did include the real name, unless of course you were there, in which case it wouldn't matter that I used it)
Needless to say, it was a fun evening for all involved!
Moving on...
Tonight I enjoyed talents of a different nature. It was the Jr. High "A Final Concert" which involved all four of the schools choirs: a junior choir (comprised of what looked like the entire group of grade seven students), the men's choir (8th & 9th grade), the female choir (also 8-9th if you couldn't figure that out), and then the choir Jake was in, called Footnotes, which requires an audition to join - Go Jake!. There were actually two performances, each half an hour long, so KayRena, Clare and I stayed for both, while Jake's other siblings went to one or the other (or none, as was the case with one child who shall remain nameless although everyone here knows who it was anyways).
At first I thought I was going to have my very own seat this time. How excited I was, but then people moved in on my location and I soon found myself on KayRena's knee. How's a bear supposed to see over people's chairs, let alone heads, when sitting on someone's knee!!
**excuse me while Clare solves Zach's Rubik's cube; it seems to be of greater importance than my blog**
Okay, back to our regular scheduled blogging (not that its ever scheduled; if it was I wouldn't be trying to get it caught up now). Anyways, it took a full two songs before KayRena heard my complaints and moved me onto her shoulder where I had a spectacular view for the rest of the performance.
I only wish I could have taken pictures (or had Clare take some) on either night. Contrary to popular belief, I can't get away with everything by being a little bear. I may be able to sit in places beyond "no touch' boundaries, but the "no photography" thing still applies. Oh well, at least I could take pictures of each of the boys after their shows.


No comments:
Post a Comment