Things I learned today - if you want this group to be in the car by 9:15, tell to be ready for 9. I’m not quite sure why that is, but it worked so I’ll just go with it.
Our first stop was back up the highway to Panorama Amethyst Mine, which was so much fun! It’s a family owned place and they do a great job, even gave us a discount for the group! The tour was just long enough not to get boring, and you guys know me, that can happen pretty quickly, so it says a lot. Then we were told to go find our own amethyst with the instructions “if you’re not standing on purple, you’re in the wrong place”. The stuff was everywhere! We each had a bucket to collect what you want (you pay per pound for anything you want to keep, but even there they gave us a very generous group discount). At one point I heard Crackle cry out “I’m having an amethyst crisis!” We look over and her bucket is half full. Clare and Robin actually had to set a limit for what we could take back or I think they would have brought the entire mine home. Still, it was great fun picking, washing, evaluating, discarding, and eventually deciding on what was going home. I may not be much for souvenirs but this was cool!
From there we headed over to the Terry Fox monument. If you don’t know who this guy is, look it up because his story is amazing, heart-warming, and heart-breaking all at the same time. The monument stands near where his trans-Canada journey ended.
Once again Clare and/or Robin had suggested wearing uniforms to go to the monument. This got them a completely different reaction by other tourists and the guy inside the Welcome Centre. People asked more questions, were interested in what we did AND we got some coupons to help us out at our next stop (basically half price). Suddenly my young companions were all about wearing the uniform to show off who they were and what they were about (oh and possible discounts of course).
Uniforms remained on as we headed into town to find “The Persian Man” bakery so that we could all try the local treat (Persians). They are yeast-donut-like cinnamon rolls with a berry frosting. Yum.
A short drive later we were at Fort William Historic Park, a living museum kind of like This Is The Place (from my multiple Utah trips). Once again, uniforms got us attention, and the kids were quickly pulled into various activities/re-enactments being put on by the characters in the park. They were loving it and eagerly explored The Fort, soaking in the fun and history. We even got asked where our cookies were! Thankfully I’ve been around Clare and Robin long enough now to know what this meant. Here are a few of the best photos with captions because Clare says its just way faster than formatting around paragraphs (whatever!)
![]() |
| Look its Guides at a Guides House! |
![]() |
| Filling water bottles |
![]() |
| Chosen to be clerks - third girl is also in a Guide T, but not with us! |
![]() |
| We found another goose!! |
![]() |
| Don’t worry, it wasn’t loaded! |
Due to a couple in our group not being able to do the hill at this park, we got to ride the shuttle that takes you from the w\Welcome Centre to the historic Fort. The driver was so excited, as she’s used to driving older people who complain she drives too fast (even when she’s slow). She took one look at us and said “I like to take corners quick, you good with that?” They cheered as she gave us a great ride down, and then again on the way back up. Definitely fun for all!
![]() |
| Weeeeeeeeeeeeee………. |
As we were leaving the park, we were once again asked about our trip (that uniform really does have an effect - wonder where I might pick one of those up?), and after describing our day, we were told that we HAD to stop at the Shake Shack in Kakabeka Falls as they had the best ice cream around. This was agreed on by numerous staff standing around. We were going to Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park next anyways, so what else were we to do but stop in the village of the same name and pick up this highly regarded ice cream (I didn’t get to try any, but I’m told it was worth the stop). Oh and Pop taught me how to hoverboard on her phone. I like!
We finally headed over to the actual Falls, which I’ve heard are nick-named Niagara of the North. Not sure who says that, or where, because I haven’t seen it anywhere (Clare said she was told it back in university, but that was 30 years so, yeah). It is also apparently higher than Niagara Falls, but nowhere near as wide. Still impressive though. Fun fact that matters to no-one but Clare feels like typing it anyways, so, sigh, I’ll let her… it was 30 years ago THIS week that she drove to Thunder Bay for the first time to attend Lakehead University (yup, she’s old, at least that’s what the Rangers like to tease).
A final stop at a Walmart (why do so many of my trips always include a trip inside a Walmart?) and we took our tired bodies back to the hotel, for another feast on a hotel room floor because neither room has enough seats for everyone. This is where I learned that the kids had bought stuff to “do their nails”. Curious, I decided that hanging with them sounded like so much more fun! I sent boring Clare and Robin back to their room to write my blog. I will inform you about the doing of nails tomorrow!
Whatever!
![]() |
| End of day view from kids room! |













No comments:
Post a Comment