The catch...
I'm exploring it with twenty-two girls (aged 10-14) and seven Girl Guide Leaders. I can't decide if they are incredibly brave, or absolutely insane! Maybe a little bit of both. Short explanation: my scribe also happens to be a Girl Guide leader (maybe that's the reason she never takes me anywhere any more; she's always camping instead). Anyways, this year she paired up with two other units and planned a trip to Montreal, Quebec (in Canada for those who might be geographically challenged). Its a four day whirlwind tour, but I'm not complaining. It's still an adventure!
![]() |
| Yes, we take up an entire escalator! |
And that's as far as Clare got before having to go play Leader again. *sigh* We are now home, but I'm hoping to push Clare to finish sharing my adventure with you all, even if it takes a couple of days to do so.
So... back to Friday...
The MegaBus was very aptly named, and the girls loved sitting on the top of a double decker bus for the six hour journey to Montreal (ok, I doubt they loved the six hour part, but they definitely loved the top of the bus part). The trip was mostly uneventful as the girls worked on crafts and/or slept. There was only a brief pause in the boredom when we crossed into Quebec (like crossing a state line for my American friends), and Janice waved a Quebec flag to get the girls attention. What really did their little heads in, however, was the sudden switch from English-first signs, to French-first.
Another hour or so, and we finally arrived in downtown Montreal. Unloading twenty-nine people's worth of stuff, checking seats for left behind items, and and bathroom breaks took a bit of time, but eventually we lined the girls up and did something I'd never seen before, but have now seen more times than I can count. A leader yelled "sound-off!" and suddenly pairs of girls lined up and shouted out numbers, sometimes in French, sometimes in English, and sometimes a weird combination of both. A strange custom to be sure. Over the four days this strange ritual was done in subway stations with many stares from across the platform, on city streets, in museums, and well every time they were about to set off from one place to another. I believe there are a lot of people wandering around Montreal just a little baffled and amused after seeing this group.
One twenty minute walk through busy streets later, we arrived at the hotel and got everyone checked in. The girls were given about twenty minutes to get settled and then we were off again, this time to have dinner and explore Chinatown. We checked out some pretty cool architecture, murals and statues, and walked a lot! We got a personal demonstration of the making of Dragons Beard candy, which was very cool (and very yummy I'm told). It looks like cotton candy, but apparently doesn't taste like it at all. Enjoyed by all... except me of course.
We
all returned to the hotel shortly after 8 and once again, the girls
were given only a few minutes before they had to be back for a group
meeting in one of the leader's rooms (MY room to be precise - and nobody
asked ME!). First, let me explain that these were not normal hotel
rooms by any means. There were various combinations of double rooms (2
single beds), triple rooms (a single bed and a bunk bed), quads (2 bunk
beds) and even rooms with 3 bunk beds, but we didn't have any of those. Janice, Clare and I were sharing a double, a very small room with 2
single beds against the walls, a small desk, and a bathroom with only a
stand-up shower. Now imagine squeezing 29 people into that room! I was
very relieved for my little spot on the table between the beds, let me
tell you! I looked around the room and began to wonder what exactly I'd
got myself into! ![]() |
| So... Many... Girls!!! |
At least I was included!
Whatever!




No comments:
Post a Comment