First
of all, I owe my long-term readers an apology for the email they
received this morning. Apparently, if I post two entries on the same
day, you still only get one email, AND the email includes the second
post I wrote first, followed by the first post. This left many confused
readers wondering how on earth I got to this new adventure and who all
the strange girls were. So, if you were one of those readers, and gave
up trying to understand, either scroll down the email and read the
second entry first (dated May 24) or visit the website and find the
entries on the side panel (“So Many Girls” is the first post of the
trip). Then again, if you aren’t interested in finding out why I’m
travelling with 29 girls and women, then that’s your loss. :)
Now
to return to our regular scheduled program. I believe we are up to
Sunday, which also started bright and early at 6:30am. Once
again it was 9am when we were all dressed, fed, and packed for another
long day of walking and exploring. We first hiked up to Old Montreal and
checked out Notre-Dame Basilica and listened to its beautiful bells. We
saw the first bank in Canada, and a whole lot of other old buildings and cobblestone streets. Clare says it reminder her of Europe. I wouldn't know; she's never taken me there!
More walking brought us to the Montreal Museum of Archaeology and History (aka Pointe-a-Calliere, sorry Quebec friends, no idea how to add accents on this thing). This museum was built on top of the old ruins of Montreal - literally! We started with a movie that covered the entire history of the area in about 20 minutes and was really well done. Then we went downstairs where the exhibits were set up in and around old crumbling walls that reminded me of Machu Picchu (without the mountain). We even got to walk through a cool tunnel, although some of the girls cringed when they learned we were walking through the old sewers of Montreal. Great fun! In another area, the entire floor was glass, placed over the ruins so we could see them, and walk on them, without damaging them. Clare says it was a bit weird, kinda messed with your head a little, but a neat idea to be sure.
Once we finished in the museum, we had the first gift store shopping spree. I know I've written many times before on this phenomenon of wanting to take home trinkets to people who weren't even there, or just needing to have that one item that says you were. I don't get it, but clearly all these girls have learned this behaviour young as they eagerly entered the gift shop and carefully looked over every shelf, picking out just the right things to buy. Even Clare got in on it. I waited... somewhat impatiently, I'll admit.
We gathered everyone up and headed along the river to our lunch destination; a place that sold "proper" Poutine. Depending on your food preferences, you will either love it or hate it: french fries sprinkled with cheese curds, and covered in hot gravy. It all melts together into a gooey mess and eaten with a fork. It's known as a Canadian thing, but it actually originates from Quebec, so it only makes sense that it had to be a part of this experience. I, however, found myself sadly lacking in the ability to try all these Quebec treats (sulks in a corner).
My sulking soon passed as Clare treated me to another French tradition that did not include food. The girls were once again set free (in small groups with leaders, of course) to explore a rather touristy type street filled with shops, stalls and cafes. One of the most prevalent stall was that of Caricatures. They were everywhere! And so, Clare finally remembered that I even existed, and agreed to let me get one done. The artist tried to convince Clare to be part of the drawing, but she flat out refused. And so I sat, by my little self, while this man drew my portrait (I felt so special). I kind of wished he'd included a Quebec flag or something, but hey, you can't have everything.
Portrait safely tucked away, we joined the rest of the group and headed off to our next destination; "SOS Labyrinth". Sure, it may not have had much to do with the history or culture of Montreal, but it was definitely a highlight for many of the girls. Over 2km of passageways as you try to find 4 treasures and get out before your friends. I do have to note, however, that while the girls had all complained about sore feet before entering this maze, they seemed to have no problem at all with their feet while they were in there!
Our group split into groups of four girls and one leader, except the Pathfinders who got to explore in groups of four without a leader (they were VERY excited about this for some reason). This also left 3 leaders without girls, who eagerly challenged the Pathfinders to see who could do the maze faster. I hate to say it, but we lost. Both Pathfinder groups were faster, but not by more than five minutes, and given that it took over an hour to complete the challenge, five minutes isn't that bad... or so Clare claims ;).
Once everyone had been found, and compared their scores, we headed out to explore a few more buildings and fancy streets (once again Clare commented on how much it looked like Europe, and once again I pointed out that I wouldn't know!). We slowly wandered our way through these streets until we came to the restaurant booked for dinner (apparently you don't just show up anywhere when you're dragging 29 people with you). As we waited to be seated, we enjoyed watching the massive chess tournament happening on the street. I wanted to play, but I think those pieces would squash me flat! Oh, and for the record, there were about 6 of these giant chess boards all up the street; it was a true tournament. How fun!
After enjoying variations of chicken for dinner, the giant group headed back to the hotel where the girls were given a demonstration on how to pack a travel backpack properly. Who knew there was a right and a wrong way to pack? I didn't, but then why would I care; I don't take anything but little ole me. Meanwhile, other leaders were shopping for bus lunch items, and getting it all packed up. Busy little beavers these ladies are; no wonder I never get to travel any more!
![]() |
| Do they look tired to anyone else? |
With packing sorted, everyone once again converged on my room. This night was different though. They sang. Very strange. They called it a Guide's Own, with some quiet songs, and then everyone sharing "two stars and a wish" and then some more songs. Clare says this is a normal thing at the end of camps and events in Guiding, and I thought it was kinda cool. My only complaint was that nobody asked MY stars or wishes! So, whether you like it or not, I'm sharing them now (oh, stars are what you liked most, and wishes are well... what you'd like to do next time).
So, for my stars: I loved getting my portrait done, and I actually liked travelling with this group of girls and making new friends.
For my wish: I want to go to Europe! Clare... did you hear that?
They finished their final song and were once again given instructions for the morning, and told the elusive 10pm lights out.
Whatever!





No comments:
Post a Comment